Wednesday, November 23, 2016

In the Balance

Proverbs 11:31 – “If the righteous receive their due on earth, how much more the ungodly and the sinner!”
     Although I grew up in Northwest Indiana, I am by no means a fan of cold weather; but last night I bundled up and went ice skating with my son, his girlfriend and my granddaughter in downtown Atlanta’s Centennial Park. It was exhilarating to strap bulky boots with razor sharp blades onto my feet and purposefully thrust myself onto slick frozen water. It has been decades since I had been ice skating (I’m a 4-wheel roller skater girl) but I had a ball nonetheless.
     In ice skating, just like in our own Christian walk, the key to remaining upright and on course is to maintain good balance. As I went around the rink I encountered some seasoned veteran skaters who were performing graceful pirouettes and I also came upon novices who were clinging to the side rails as if their lives depended upon it. It was up to me to decide how I would handle each person whose path somehow intersected mine. If I moved too fast or too slow; if I moved right when I should have moved left – we could all end up in a pile on the floor. My main concern was to avoid distractions, stay out of the way to show boaters, be careful around the timid and keep my balance. In life also as we approach others we may or may not know how they will react to us, so we have to be prepared to maintain our own steady state. Ask God to give you discernment about every situation you encounter and he will provide the insights to allow you to maintain your balance and not get pushed off course or end up taking a fall.
     Every day is a good day; it is up to us to make it a great day. Don’t be distracted; stay focused on your purpose. Be blessed! Dr. JoAnn

No comments:

Post a Comment