Monday, February 9, 2015

Share and Share Alike!

Proverbs 21:26 (ERV) -"Some people are greedy and never have enough. Good people are generous and have plenty."

      I want to share my experience from the other day when I knew I had to immediately utter a repentant prayer. I was entering a local Publix (mid-priced grocery store) to pick up my prescription from the pharmacy and noticed a scruffy young man kneeling by the entrance. As I approached he solicited funds to buy some ready-prepared chicken from the deli section. I often give hand outs but I usually have money readily available in my pocket or the side of my purse.  For safety I do not make a habit of opening my wallet outside in a parking lot or on the street. So when the man asked for help I was a bit startled because it was odd to see someone begging in front of this location, I smiled at him, but I declined his request with a simple head shake and kept walking. There have been plenty of times when I have not given to those asking for money but this time it was different; not because of his request but because of my after thoughts.
        As I walked into the store I thought..."if you are begging for chicken money... you ought to go across the street and beg at Church's Chicken....it's cheap over there.". As soon as the elitist thought jumped in my head I was ashamed.  I comparison shop, clip coupons, and follow the ads while pinching my pennies together to shop at the Farmer's Market, Walmart or the discount markets... I don't even buy much out of Publix  anymore and "here he is with the nerve to beg for high-end chicken." I was awful; and immediately the Holy Spirit arrested me and I asked for forgiveness.  Just like the brother of the prodigal son, I could have access to whatever God will provide, it is my choice to not buy the chicken there- why then would I want to deny this poor man some good chicken just because he is begging. (He has good tastes-the chicken is good)...How selfish and greedy of me. When I picked up my medicine, I put some money in my hand and returned to the scene of my "thought crime", but he was gone. Did I miss an opportunity to entertain an angel? Maybe or maybe not,,, but for sure I witnessed yet another area of my being that God is working on in my walk to be more like Jesus.  To not give was not the offense, but to judge was what I needed to curtail.  What thoughts have you entertained that you need to seek repentance for?? The closer we walk with God the more we reflect his glory...the Holy Spirit will guide and correct. Pay attention to the lessons!!  I am glad I did.  Every day is a good day; it is up to us to make it a GREAT day!  Be blessed! Dr. JoAnn

No comments:

Post a Comment