Tuesday, February 7, 2017

Faithful Cheerleaders

John 2:5 (ESV) - “ His mother said to the servants, “Do whatever he tells you.
    This scripture comes from St. John’s Gospel depiction of the first public miracle performed by Jesus at the wedding in Cana. Mary, Jesus’ mother, was so resolved that he could handle the situation that she boldly made the proclamation to the servants to ‘do whatever he instructs you to do’. Jesus had not made wine appear out of nowhere before nor had he done any miracle for that matter, but his mom had such faith in him that she knew her son would handle the issue and that the celebratory family would not be embarrassed.
    I was thinking about all of the people in my life who had such support and faith in me that they, without hesitation, knew that whatever the task, I could handle it. I remember Corean Burns who started calling me Dr. JoAnn when I still had years to go before completing my doctorate. And Edith Abrams who urged me to give teaching a try. I can still hear the promptings of Kimberly Corbitt who saw ministry in me decades before I took my first seminary course. These people spoke into my life and often at times when I needed to hear that I could do it. They often provided me with the impetus to grasp for that second wind and to push across the finish line. Many of them may not have ever known just how vital that smile, hug, inspirational call or card impacted my ability to hold on and stay strong.
    We need to practice supporting one another even when we don’t actually foresee how things may turn out. God has the ultimate plan and the playbook strategies are all outlined and in the midst of it all everyone can use a great cheering squad. My charge to you today is ask the Holy Spirit to bring to your memory someone who could use a little pat on the back today; an impromptu phone call or even a surprise lunch visit and do your part to make today special for them. You could be the very reason someone’s whole day can be readjusted for success. Think about the last time someone spoke into your life at just the right time and how great it made you feel - Pass it on!
    Every day is a good day. It is up to us to make it a GREAT day! Act Victoriously! Be Blessed! Dr. JoAnn

No comments:

Post a Comment