Monday, May 9, 2016

Attitude Adjustment

Psalm 11:7 – “For the Lord is righteous, He loves righteousness; His countenance beholds the upright.”
     I had an awesome Mother’s Day yesterday and I pray that every mom, surrogate mom, and ‘auntie-mom’ also had a beautiful day; especially if you had an opportunity to worship together. My mom-aunt, Sara Gunn, who raised me and my birth mom, Eula Boddie have both gone to be with the Lord and I have so many great church memories of them. When I used to get distracted and fidget in church or anywhere my mom thought I should have better control over myself, she would bend down close to my ear and whisper these very thought-provoking and spine chilling words…“sit up, pay attention and act like you have some sense”. I am certain all of us have either heard these statements or have said them on more than one occasion to our own children. In essence, whatever was being done was inappropriate and it was time for an attitude adjustment.
     Our God is righteous and he wants his children to be in his image. Our righteousness comes from our relationship with Jesus Christ and the power of his resurrection; but to fully demonstrate our change from the old person to the new creation in Christ we must change our attitudes. Let’s not be easily distracted by the ‘stuff’ around us, but be conscientious about where we are and how God wants us to act and handle situations. We must change how we feel about our situation and then we can appreciate why God has us there and what we must do. So the next time you feel as if your countenance has fallen and you are not paying as close attention as you should… it’s time for an attitude adjustment. 
     The best thing about the whole situation is that you don’t even have to do it under your own strength or ability… ask the Holy Spirit for guidance and strength to recognize the areas needing change and how to get to the root of the problem. He will enlighten you on what to adjust and also give you what you need to get back on track.
     Every day is a good day; it is up to us to make it a GREAT day! Don’t be distracted; stay focused on your purpose. Be blessed! Dr. JoAnn

No comments:

Post a Comment