Wednesday, May 18, 2016

Worth the Wait!

Hebrews 6:15 – “And so after waiting patiently, Abraham received what was promised.

    I have always loved popcorn and as a child I used to enjoy a box of Cracker Jacks not just for the caramel sweet popcorn and peanut combination; but I also wanted the prize that came in every box.  Often because the sweet treat sat on the store shelf the prize would settle to the bottom of the box.  Although I wanted to get to the prize right away I did not want to get my entire hand sticky by pouring the mixture out all at once, so I would patiently savor the treat and then enjoy getting to the surprise that awaited. 
     In our scripture today we see that Abraham waited patiently and he did eventually receive what God had promised.  We too must wait patiently on God and remember that his timing (Kairos) is not in the same realm as our timing (chronos) and that his ways are so much higher than our ways. God is past, present and future, therefore he knows the end, the middle and the beginning and all we can muddle through is just the ‘now’.  We cannot change the past and we have absolutely no insight into the future unless God grants it; so why not just stop worrying about what is yet to come and enjoy what you have in hand.
    I trusted that the manufacturers of Cracker Jacks did indeed put a prize in every box.  I trusted that if I just kept eating and enjoying what I could see and reach, that sooner or later I would come upon my coveted prize.  God have given us much hope and many wonderful ‘prizes’/promises that are yet to materialize.  Instead of trying to dig in and skip to the ‘prize’ and get disappointed if you can’t ascertain or fully embrace it; I suggest you do like I did with the popcorn treat…enjoy what you have in hand and realize that God’s promises are sure and that if you enjoy the sweetness of what you have right now and live today to the fullest, then the prize will appear before you know it.  And guess what? It will be well worth the wait.  God never fails and he never forgets!
     Every day is a good day; it is up to us to make it s GREAT day!  Don’t be distracted – focus on your purpose.  Be blessed! Dr. JoAnn


No comments:

Post a Comment