Monday, March 5, 2018

Elder Care

Psalm 71:9 (NIV) – “Do not cast me away when I am old; do not forsake me when my strength is gone.”  
     Yesterday my granddaughter and I had the privilege to visit two elderly sisters who are members of my church. After attending the early morning worship service I decided to visit with “Mama” Kirby since her birthday was the day before and I wasn’t able to speak with her on her special day. What a delight it was because our timing was perfect. Just as we arrived, two deacons from the church were also visiting and bringing communion. We sang songs, read scripture and chatted about the wonders of God’s grace as he was surely keeping these two magnificent women in his care. “Mama” Kirby just celebrated her 93rd birthday but what is even more amazing is that in January her sister celebrated her 109th birthday. Both sisters are healthy, beautiful, full of life and sharp of wit.
      What a blessing to have longevity, but even more so to have life, the ability to live on your own; keep up with your own affairs and not riddled with volumes of medications or ailments. To God be the Glory!
      I was so glad I was able to share some precious moments with these lovely women and for my granddaughter to be exposed to their love and wisdom. We should never cast away and forget about our elders. The wealth of knowledge stored in them is priceless. Reach out today and connect with an elder; remind them of how precious they are and more importantly allow them to seed into your life.
     Every day is a good day; it is up to us to make it a GREAT day! Be blessed! Rev. Dr. JoAnn

No comments:

Post a Comment