Monday, July 11, 2016

Church Service or Worship Service

Acts 4:31 – “After they prayed, the place where they were meeting was shaken. And they were all filled with the Holy Spirit and spoke the word of God boldly.”(NIV)
    Yesterday morning I woke up not really feeling like going to church.  I rested well, I wasn’t ill, I had outfits to wear and gas in my car.  To be honest I just didn’t feel like going to my church but that is why I knew I needed to be there. And that is why I got my hips up and went.  Whenever I don't feel like going somewhere but I know I need to be in attendance, that is when I thump the devil in the top of his head and push onward because I know my faithfulness is pleasing to God. Worship isn't about how I feel but how grateful I am.  Feelings come and go, but my gratitude to my God is eternal.
      I belong to a very small church - only about 7 of us each week and three come late every Sunday.  I must admit  I miss Sunday school, the choir, praise team, praise dancers,  the single's ministry and all the trappings of "entertainment "  that seems to come with most big churches now.  I often miss the crowd and the fellowshipping we are known to do in the parking lot long after church is over.
    The devil has been egging me to leave and go back to "real" church and I know that is purely not of God.  My small, yet powerful, church is awesome.  I enjoy my fellowship and the preaching.  God's spirit visits us in our unified praise so I push through the "feelings of big church loss" and go to worship the God I serve I went to church and I didn’t drag in there either.  I went with a thankful heart.  I thanked God for healing my friends and family of their illnesses and hurts;  I thanked him for my First Friday Fellowship ministry and those that attend; I thanked him for my father’s 94 years of  longevity, for my landlord's trust, for my brother's health, for our nation's peace and my anointed life.  I went because I really couldn’t help it.  I love worship service where I can tell God in the midst of fellow believers that I love him and want to serve him.  It really isn’t about church service because I often visit other churches when I want to see the praise dancers running down the aisles – it is about congregational worship service and that comes when just 2 or more are gathered in his name.  
   So if you are feeling a little displaced at your place of worship; hang in there my friend...  we might just be called to serve in places that might not be "comfy” or what we want ,but God is there so what more must we do but show up in spirit and worship him in faith!!
   Every day is a good day; it is up to us to make it a GREAT day! Don’t be distracted; stay focused on your purpose. Be blessed! Dr. JoAnn

No comments:

Post a Comment