Wednesday, November 21, 2018

Quit Playing!

Psalm 39:8 (NCV)– “Save me from all my sins. Don’t let wicked fools make fun of me.””
   When I relay some off-the-wall information to one of my good girlfriends about any outlandish action or deed that I have learned about, she will often quip "quit playing". She tells me in essence to stop trying to trick her mind and give it data that just can't possibly be true. We usually laugh it off because whatever it is that I am telling her is usually something funny that I have seen on some television show where they have caught someone doing something so foolish it is not hard to see why they were caught. 
      I remember telling her about the man who attempted to steal an ATM machine by tying a chain around it to his truck bumper (not the pickup truck, but the bumper) and sped off. Well needless to say the police found him at home with his bumper-less truck parked in the driveway because they easily traced the license plate that was still attached to the bumper - what an idiot! She hollered "quit playing" and we both laughed out loud.
    The devil will do foolish things in attempts to thwart the plans of God. One of his often tried plots is to whisper ludicrous suggestions and taunts to you. He will use foolish statements that talk about your trials, stumbles, fall and failures. He will constantly rehearse ideas of things you have attempted that might have fallen through or relationships that turned sour. He will use people close to you to torment you with “I told you so” and other babbles that will distract you. 
      Do not let it sway you or throw you off schedule. When these foolish statements come your way…do like my girlfriend does and shout “quit playing” and laugh it off. “Quit playing” is a cynical way of expressing to the devil that you just can’t believe how stupid he is for trying to come between you and what God has ordained for your life. It reminds him that his foolishness is not going to affect you because you know what he is saying is madness. He is a liar and the father of all lies. When you place whatever the devil says up against the Word of God it loses all of its power and turns to dust. So shake it off from the beginning and do not let it take root.
      Every day is a good day; it is up to us to make it a GREAT day! Be blessed! Rev. Dr. JoAnn

No comments:

Post a Comment