Friday, December 26, 2014

Keep the Fire Burning

         After a spirit-filled few days of worship and praise services, holiday celebrations and birthday bashes I am looking forward to taking this "fire" into the new year.. Some people may want things to hurry and get back to "normal".  Some are already taking down their decorations. Now that we have been immersed in the joy of Christmas I want to take a few days and really enjoy the gift of Jesus that we have received.  My praise songs sound more inspirational.  My prayer time feels more uplifting. Even my quiet meditations are more freeing and relaxing.  With all of the build-up leading up to Christmas everything  takes on a heighten sense of expression because this season sparks so many emotions.  
        The fellowship and awe of God's love for us in giving his son was celebrated on one day and then the next our family was jolted with news of the death of a loved one.  My mom passed away ten years ago on the day after Christmas. Although our family was saddened by the loss, we knew that mom, having lived a long and beautiful life, would not want her death to overshadow the revived sense of hope that Christmas ushers in.  So we celebrated her life in grand style and my brother and I carry on that tradition each year.  I encourage all of us to take the joy of Christmas and let it overflow well into the New year!  December 26th is the beginning for celebrating family and community through the principles of Kwanzaa. Prepare your first fruits offerings; feed into the life of a child; honor the sacrifices of those upon whose shoulders we stand and help in an area outside of your usual norm.  Every day is a good day; its up to us to make it a GREAT day!  Be blessed! Dr. JoAnn 

No comments:

Post a Comment