Thursday, October 6, 2016

Going the Distance!

Micah 6:8 – “He has told you, O mortal, what is good; and what does the Lord require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?”
    I am reading an interesting book entitled “Going the Distance with God” by Lori Salierno and I want to share a snippet with you.
     “If you want to go the distance with God you must move ahead one step at a time. You can’t sit around waiting for spiritual maturity to happen because it will not happen without effort on your part. You must progress day by day, as you absorb more of God’s word into your heart and mind, as you get to know God better through prayer, as you share God’s love with others, you grow stronger for the journey.”
     As I read this paragraph from the literature, one thing in particular piqued my interest – “day by day”. By nature and by nurture I am a true blue planner. I like to organize my ideas, plan my work and then work my plan. This of course means that for many aspects of my life I have to think well in advance in order to generate a schedule. This skill has served me quite well and keeps anxiety, frustration, chaos and clutter pretty much out of my life; but what I am discovering in my refined walk with God is that the ‘day-by-day’ - seat-of-your-pants – impromptu life of just following God day-by-day, hour-by-hour or minute-by-minute is not only refreshing but mandatory. God is creative, wise and resourceful so he enjoys the fact that we also plan, execute and create; but he wants us to honor the value of the faith that comes from walking and working without an agenda – to just trust him and walk with him in harmony and peace.
     As the McDonald’s commercial says – “I’m just lovin’ it”! Every day is a good day; it is up to us to make it a power-packed GREAT day! Don’t be distracted; stay focused on your purpose. Be blessed! Dr. JoAnn

No comments:

Post a Comment