Friday, February 16, 2018

Get More Sleep

Psalm 127:2 – “In vain you rise early and stay up late, toiling for food to eat—
for he grants sleep to those he loves. He gives his beloved sleep.”
     Everyone who knows me knows that I do not sleep a lot and that I don’t take naps. I often say that I can ‘sleep when I’m dead’; but as I age the reality of it all is that I am mending my ways and getting more rest. I still can’t nap during the day, but I am trying to sleep more each night.
     Illness, stress, family problems, job demands, etc., can rob us of sleep. If we constantly run on low battery power it will show up in our attitudes, our relationships and our performance. The Bibles says (1) “’He gives his beloved sleep” ; (2) I will both lie down in peace, and sleep; for You alone, O Lord make me dwell in safety” (Psalm 4:8) and (3) “When you lie down, you will not be afraid, yes, you will lie down and your sleep will be sweet. (Prov 3:24)
     Sleep is an act of trust; when you go to sleep the world is in God’s hands, not yours. And it will get along very well (even if you aren’t awake to control things). When you awaken the next morning, God will give you the grace you need for the new day.
     Ever tried to pray when you were suffering from sleep deficit? It is hard to do. Before Elijah was able to spend prolonged time in prayer the angel of the Lord made him take not one, but two long naps. Contrast that with the disciples in Gethsemane who couldn’t pray because they kept falling asleep. It is hard to think, feel and act like Jesus when you lack sleep. That is why the Psalmist says – “He gives His beloved sleep.” Maybe the most spiritual thing we can do is to get to bed earlier and wake up refreshed so we are ready to fulfill God’s purpose for our day.
     Every day is a good day; it is up to us to make it a GREAT day! Have an awesome weekend and get some rest. Be blessed! Rev. Dr. JoAnn

No comments:

Post a Comment