Friday, June 29, 2018

Balancing Act

Proverbs 16:11 – “ A just weight and balance are the Lord's: all the weights of the bag are his work.”     Yesterday as a friend was putting together a heavy yard mobile, my act of supervision was more of a hindrance than a help. The mobile was a gift that unfortunately did not come with instructions or even a picture to use as a guide. My friend is pretty good with his hands and so I thought it would be a nice ‘puzzle’ to challenge his wits to put the object together. I have had the object for a few months and when I saw that it would require a little more thought than I wanted to invest, I just left it in my garage; but its oddity and subtle beauty would often catch my attention and I would think to myself – “I really need to put that thing together”. 
     So now that it was coming together my whole ulterior motive was to just get the thing up and outside; but all along he was studying the object and contemplating how to not only make the pieces align, but how it would move about its axis. For him it was not just about the end result of ‘what’ it was, but the functionality of ‘why’ and ‘how’.
     Most often life presents us with situations that we need to solve in order to have full use of the lessons that God presents to us. We may not be given any instructions or even any idea of what the outcome will be; we are just ‘driven’ to complete the task because we know it is a ‘gift’ from God and that it will be beautiful in the end.
      I was not much help in the beginning; I even took it apart because I thought it should go a certain way and had to swallow my pride and allow him to follow his line of reasoning. I asked for his help and then jumped in the way. The object is heavy and my friend realized that the pieces had to fit in a certain order so that it would be balanced and remain upright. Some challenges that God presents to us can be ‘heavy’ , time-consuming and even very puzzling, but he has a solution and like in this situation, he may give the solution to another just so we can stop thinking we have all the answers. We might just get out of the way long enough to see the big picture and let things come together smoothly.  I thank God for my friend's patience, ingenuity and how in the end we worked together to get the job done.
     Every day is a good day; it is up to us to make it a GREAT day! Enjoy this awesome weekend. The next time we meet it will be a new month. In Georgia we have a few new laws coming into action. Be aware and stay safe. NO HANDS CELL PHONE USE! Be blessed! Rev. Dr. JoAnn
      If you are in the metro-Atlanta area, join me for first Sunday communion service at Horizon Church- 4:30 pm-5:30 pm 2677 Lawrenceville Hwy. Decatur, GA 30033

No comments:

Post a Comment