Monday, June 19, 2017

Help Me

Over the weekend I read and commented on a Facebook submission posted by my cousin and it jolted my memory of an event I shared through a previous blog. Today I am revisiting those sentiments as we flashback to an episode I experienced two years ago... enjoy!

"Yesterday as I exited the freeway in downtown Atlanta a group of young boys were selling iced bottled water at the light. I had a chilled drink in car that I prepared for the ride so when they motioned from the curbside I shook my head and continued to wait for the light to change. Then a strange thing occurred, one of the boys came across the lane to my window and shook two chilled bottles and was talking...I rolled down the window and before I could offer a polite "no thank you" - he looked into my eyes and said "help me Auntie".  At that very moment the impatient driver in the car behind me laid on his horn and out of instinct I pushed the gas and rolled forward.   But an even greater instinct surged through me as I saw the young boy race to the curb to avoid the traffic- my protective spirit.   Without much thought I zoomed ahead, found an opening and "busted a U-turn" as I dug into my purse to find some money.  As I approached the underpass I blew my horn and motioned for my "nephew" to break away from the crowd and come to me.  Eagerly he grabbed a cold water and raced to my car.  I asked him if he was the one who called me "Auntie" and he said quietly "yes ma'am ".  I told him he was worth me coming back to see and I gave him a dollar and told him to keep the water. I decreed a blessing over him and then drove off again to "bust another U-turn" so I could continue my journey. 
What took less than 5 minutes made a great impact on me.  We are a village and this very "nephew" of mine was out hustling to make some honest money; not like those who months earlier had climbed my balcony and burglarized my apartment.  These working "nephews" needed to know that someone cares enough about their welfare that even if we didn't get it right the first time we are willing to make a u-turn to help.  
Look for opportunities to be a blessing and if you miss it... stop and take the time to listen when others cry out for help and if you have to make a U-turn - realize you are fulfilling a Godly assignment.   
Every day is a good day; it is up to us to make it a GREAT day.    Be blessed!  Dr. JoAnn "

No comments:

Post a Comment