Tuesday, July 24, 2018

Not Today

Matthew 24:36 - “But about that day and hour no one knows, neither the angels of heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father.
     How quickly truth comes to meet reality. Over the weekend I shared sermons and discussions about the need to not worry about the present or future calamities we face because if we are rooted in the love of God there is nothing to fear. We are to seek God’s righteousness, keep on our whole armor, fear not and share the love of Jesus with others through our word and works.
     Well last evening as I was on my way to teach my weekly Bible study class I came close to being another fatal vehicular accident statistic. After exiting the freeway I approached the surface street interaction where I and others waited patiently for the light to change. When it did, I can only say that the Lord caused me to hesitate to enter the intersection. A heavy white van barreled through the intersection probably going at least 45-50 miles per hour and only because of my hesitancy and the brand new brakes I had installed less than a month ago, I escaped being ‘t-boned’ in what could only have been a very horrific scene. Drivers in cars all around were honking their horns and I was operating as if in slow motion. I did not panic, my heart rate did not increase, I did not even blow my horn - I just slammed on my brakes and then gave God praise. I knew it was a ‘saving’ moment.
     In today’s scripture it talks about the fact that only God knows the timing of when we will leave this mortal soil. He clearly told me yesterday that it was “not today”. My day is coming I am sure and I will be prepared to meet him face to face but for now I can rest assured that there must still be more work for me to do and that my life plan has a few more chapters to unfold. For that moment was an opportune time to see a life snuffed out but God said…’Not Today”. I proceeded to Bible study; we had an awesome lesson and if only for me to write to you today to tell you this – live each day to the fullest; work at and cherish your relationship with God… we do not know the time or the place – God does and at least this morning for most of us he has said – “Not Today”
     Every day is good day; it is up to us to make it a GREAT day!. Be blessed! Rev. Dr. JoAnn

No comments:

Post a Comment