Tuesday, July 3, 2018

Symbolic Sanctification

Numbers 6:8 - "Throughout the period of their dedication, they are consecrated to the Lord."      In Bible study last night we covered the consecration of the temple as outlined in the book of Numbers chapter 6. The text spoke of the Nazirite Vow and what was required in order to be consecrated in that decision. Those who took the Nazirite vow had strict regulations: they could not eat or drink any product or by-product of grapes; they could not cut their hair and they must not be in the presence of dead bodies... not even to honor the burial of their deceased mother or father. The rules were strict but were for a holy purpose as they were consecrated and set apart for service to God. A question that I raised to the group and now I raise to you my faithful reader- what things or rituals do you incorporate into your life that show your "separation unto God?"
      Ever since I was a small child I did my nightly prayers on my knees and although I am sure God hears my prayers no matter what position my body happens to be in- I feel a certain closeness in consecrating my prayer time with him while I am on my knees. As most people do, I say a grace blessing over my meals before I take a first bite; I bow my head and close my eyes; and when I am in the company of others I prefer to hold hands also....just my way but others don't seem to mind when I reach out and touch.
      These are small simple examples of things I have grown accustomed to doing to consecrate myself unto the Lord. Think what do you do that has special meaning between you and God? One of the group members mentioned the way in which she prepares her tithe offering is her special way of honoring her relationship with God! Whatever it is that you do God honors the fact that you take out time to make your relationship with him special in a way that it is hallmarked by a behavior that shows him that you care. Some of these may be family traditions or just behaviors that you do that help you to feel closer to God. Think about it! Share them in the comment section if you desire- I'd love to read them!      Every day is a good day; it is up to us to make it a great day! Be blessed! Rev. Dr. JoAnn

No comments:

Post a Comment