Wednesday, July 11, 2018

Silver and Gold

Make new friends yet keep the old;  one is silver and the other is gold.
    This was a very popular slogan song from my years as a Girl Scout when I was a youth back in Gary Indiana. It says it all.   Every new adventure; job; vacation or location brings with it the possibility of meeting new friends. It can be very good for business to enlarge our social network.  However it can be soothing to the soul to cherish long standing friendships that have weathered the storms of life. 
My granddaughter, Kamari will be attending a new school in the fall and she is constantly saying-“ I’m going to miss my old friends but I’m going to meet some new ones.” What a healthy attitude. And yes, she is definitely a social butterfly and will undoubtably make new friendships but it is good to hang on to “good” old solid relationships that are the life blood of our existence.  
     People say I never meet a stranger and it is true that I enjoy making new acquaintances but I do cherish my BFF that I have known for more than a half century; my First Baptist and Macedonia church buddies; my ride-or-die compadres and all others who I have known more than 40 years.  
     Yes I constantly make new friends but there is nothing like “tried and true”.  Tell your “old” friends what they mean to you and show them that longevity has its benefits!!!  

Every day is a good day; it is up to us to make it a great day! Be blessed Rev. Dr. JoAnn 

No comments:

Post a Comment